demos & workshops
Open to Registered Participants Only
CaFE submissions now closed
Selected Demonstrations and Workshops:
- CHEUNG Chung-chu, Hong Kong Open Printshop – A Reversed Negative: From Calligraphy to Woodblock Printing – Hong Kong
- Kernan, Catherine – Right/ Left/ Positive/ Negative – USA
- Goto, Hidehiko – Baren, all about its history to making, caring & printing – Japan
- Hirai, Kyoko – Anatomy of Traditional Mokuhanga, Printing Techniques – Japan
- Kitamura, Shoichi – Way of Mokuhan Carving and Printing – Japan
University of Hawaii at Manoa, Dept. of Arts & Art History/Art Building/Printmaking Studios
2535 McCarthy Mall, Honolulu, HI 96822
+1 808 956 8251
The Art Building is a five minute walk from the Hawaii Imin International Conference Center.
September 29, Friday 10am – 5pm
September 30, Saturday 10am – 5pm
October 1, Sunday 10am – 3pm
Submission period: March 1 to 31 April 15, 2017, notification was May 1, 2017
- Demonstrations and workshops must be related to mokuhanga, Japanese woodcut printmaking.
- Each presentation will be limited to a maximum of two hours including translation.
- The presenter must bear the cost of required tools and materials. Work tables will be provided.
- Selected presenters are expected to pay the Conference Registration fee.
To make a proposal, please submit the following:
- An abstract of the demonstration or workshop limited to 3,000 characters (around 300 words) in English or Japanese.
- Applicant’s biography in 1,000 characters (around 100 words).
- Applicant’s passport-size portrait, approximately 1MB jpeg
- The demonstration or workshop will be limited to a maximum of 2 hours.
Extensions will not be allowed.
* Selected presenters must submit the demonstration or workshop’s full text (3,000 words or less) by July 1, 2017 for translation and published in the Conference Proceedings book.
* Selected presenters are to pay the conference registration fee.
Selection Committee for Submissions:
- Claire Cuccio, Ph.D.
IMC2017 Board Chair; Independent Scholar in Woodblock Printmaking and Print Culture / USA
- Tuula Moilanen, Ph.D.
IMC2015-17 Board; Independent Printmaker & Book Artist; Doctor of Arts, Finland
- Setsuko Morinoue
IMC2017 Local Committee Vice-Chair; Coordinator, Co-Founder & Emeritus Chair of Donkey Mill Art Center; Gallery Owner, Japan/USA
- Michael Schneider
IMC2015-17 Board; Assoc. Prof. Tokyo University of the Arts (Printmaking);
Adjunct Faculty Webster University St. Louis/MO; Independent Artist, Austria / Japan
- April Vollmer
2017 IMC Head Office Communications Attaché; Independent Artist, Educator and Author, USA
- Katsutoshi Yuasa
IMC 2017 Board Member; Independent Artist, Educator, Japan